DiCamillo Companion

Ascott House

  • House & Family History: Originally a half-timbered Jacobean farmhouse, Ascott was heavily remodeled and enlarged in the 19th century. The house, together with 90 acres of land, was purchased in 1873 by Baron Mayer de Rothschild (who was seated at Mentmore Towers, three miles away). In 1874 Leopold de Rothschild took over Ascott as a hunting box; in subsequent years the Rothschilds altered and considerably enlarged Ascott, leaving the house as seen today. Between 1941 and 1947 a group of Chelsea Pensioners lived at Ascott after the Royal Hospital, Chelsea, was bombed during World War II. In 1949 the Ascott Collection, together with the house, its grounds of 261 acres, and an endowment, were given to the National Trust by Anthony de Rothschild.

    Collections: Ascott houses an exceptional collection of paintings, Asian porcelain, and English and French furniture. The paintings and French furniture were inherited in the late 19th century by Leopold de Rothschild from his father, Baron Lionel de Rothschild. In the 20th century Anthony de Rothschild added English furniture and a very important collection of over 400 pieces of Chinese ceramics to the collection. The Chinese porcelain is particularly noted for its three-color glaze pieces, among the most important in the world.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: The large gardens are a mixture of the formal and natural, containing specimen trees and shrubs, as well as a herbaceous walk, a lily pond, the Dutch Garden, and a topiary sundial.

  • Architect: George Devey

    Date: Circa 1874-75
    Designed: Rebuilt House for Leopold de Rothschild

    View all houses
  • Country Life: II, 210, 1897. CVIII, 826 [Collection], 1950.

  • House Listed: Grade II*

    Park Listed: Grade II*

  • Current Seat / Home of: Sir Evelyn de Rothschild; Rothschild family here since 1873.

    Past Seat / Home of: Baron Mayer Amschel de Rothschild, 1873-74; Leopold de Rothschild, 1874-1917; Anthony de Rothschild, 1917-49.

    Current Ownership Type: The National Trust

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Visitor Attraction

  • House Open to Public: Yes

    Phone: 01296-688-242

    Fax: 01296-681-904

    Email: [email protected]

    Website: http://www.ascottestate.co.uk

    Historic Houses Member: No