The house from a circa 1900 postcard
House & Family History: Arley Castle, originally called Arley Hall, was rebuilt in its current form circa 1650 by the Lyttleton family. The manor of Arley was owned by the male descendants of Sir Thomas Lyttelton from the reign of Henry VI until 1779, when Thomas, son of George Lord Lyttelton, bequeathed it to his nephew, Arthur Annesley, Viscount Valentia.
Garden & Outbuildings: The folly of Arley Tower was built in 1842 under the orders of Earl Mountnorris in order to block the view of the village pub from his window. It was sold in 2002.
Title: Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage, 1990
Author: Kidd, Charles; Williamson, David (Editors)
Year Published: 1990
Reference: pg. P 1222
Publisher: London: Debrett's Peerage Limited (New York: St. Martin's Press, Inc.)
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Demolished
Park Listed: Destroyed
Current Seat / Home of: A.L. Annesley
Past Seat / Home of: Sir Thomas Lyttelton, 3rd Bt., 17th century; Lyttleton family here from the 15th century until 1779. Arthur Annesley, Viscount Valentia and 1st Earl of Mountnorris, 18th century.
Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No