DiCamillo Companion
England

Arley Castle (Arley Hall)

  • House & Family History: Arley Castle, originally called Arley Hall, was rebuilt in its current form circa 1650 by the Lyttleton family. The manor of Arley was owned by the male descendants of Sir Thomas Lyttelton from the reign of Henry VI until 1779, when Thomas, son of George Lord Lyttelton, bequeathed it to his nephew, Arthur Annesley, Viscount Valentia.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: The folly of Arley Tower was built in 1842 under the orders of Earl Mountnorris in order to block the view of the village pub from his window. It was sold in 2002.

  • Title: Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage, 1990
    Author: Kidd, Charles; Williamson, David (Editors)
    Year Published: 1990
    Reference: pg. P 1222
    Publisher: London: Debrett's Peerage Limited (New York: St. Martin's Press, Inc.)
    ISBN: 0312046405
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Demolished

    Park Listed: Destroyed

  • Current Seat / Home of: A.L. Annesley

    Past Seat / Home of: Sir Thomas Lyttelton, 3rd Bt., 17th century; Lyttleton family here from the 15th century until 1779. Arthur Annesley, Viscount Valentia and 1st Earl of Mountnorris, 18th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No

VISIT AND HELP PRESERVE HISTORIC BRITISH HOUSES

Help preserve Britain’s privately owned country houses by joining Historic Houses. Use code DICAM7 for a £7 discount off a new membership that will give you access to hundreds of historic houses.

Join Now