The house from a 1913 postcard
Earlier Houses: There was probably an earlier house on, or near, the site of the current house.
House & Family History: Archerfield House was named after the archers of King Edward I, who pitched their tents here during the English invasion of 1298. It is golf, however, with which Archerfield is associated today. Situated between the eighth hole at Muirfield and the ninth at North Berwick, it's believed that golf has been played over this land for at least 500 years. During the second half of the 19th century games were frequently played on the original 13-hole course. Archerfield was such a desirable place to play that the local vicar, John Kerr, wrote in 1896: "no snugger, cosier, more delightful links can be found anywhere. For pure, unalloyed enjoyment of a summers day play give us Archerfield." Circa 1910 the course was extended to 18 holes to a design by Ben Sayers. The Archerfield course was later described by noted "Times" golf correspondent Bernard Darwin as "the most enchanting short course in the world." During World War II Archerfield House was taken over by the British Army, an occupation from which it almost didn't recover. In the years after the war, the estate fell into severe decline and was only rescued in the late 20th century, when Archerfield House was turned into an exclusive golf club. Today the newly-restored house looks out over two David Russell-designed golf courses: the Fidra and the Dirleton.
Garden & Outbuildings: The house is today set in 500 acres of grounds.
Title: Last Lion: Winston Spencer Churchill: Visions of Glory, 1874-1932, The
Author: Manchester, William
Year Published: 1983
Reference: pg. 430
Publisher: Boston: Little, Brown and Company
Book Type: Hardback
Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - HARDBACK
Author: Colvin, Howard
Year Published: 2008
Reference: pgs. 54, 330
Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Category A
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: William Nisbet, 18th century; William Hamilton Nisbet, until 1822. Herbert Henry Asquith, 1st Earl of Oxford (as tenant), early 20th century. Constance Nisbet Hamilton Ogilvy, until 1920. Lt. Colonel J. Patrick Grant, 1920-21.
Current Ownership Type: Corporation
Primary Current Ownership Use: Mixed Use
Ownership Details: Archerfield House is available for conferences and private stays. The estate is also home to Archerfield Links Golf Club.