House & Family History: The late 18th century Appleby was a classical style ashlar house that cost £1,861 to build (approximately £2.7 million in 2016 inflation-adjusted value using the labour value commodity index) and was set in a park of 3,778 acres. After the Moore family sold up in 1920 the House was reduced in size; by the 1930s it was a ruin; in 1952 it was completely demolished because of mining subsidence. The Grade II-listed Rectory is extant.
House Listed: Demolished
Park Listed: Destroyed
Past Seat of: George Moore, 18th century; Moore family here until 1920.
Current Ownership Type: Demolished
Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No