DiCamillo Companion
England

Apley Castle, Telford

  • Built / Designed For: St. John Charlton

    House & Family History: The Entrance Facade was added in 1856. Apley Castle was demolished in 1955; the portico, which was re-erected as an eye-catcher at Hodnet Hall, Shropshire, is all that remains of the House.

  • Architect: Joseph Bromfield

    Date: 1791-94
    Designed: Garden Front

    View all houses
  • John Bernard (J.B.) Burke, published under the title of A Visitation of the Seats and Arms of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. II, p. 135, 1853.

  • Title: No Voice From the Hall: Early Memories of a Country House Snooper
    Author: Harris, John
    Year Published: 1998
    Publisher: London: John Murray
    ISBN: 0719555671
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Burke's and Savills Guide to Country Houses, Volume II: Herefordshire, Shropshire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire
    Author: Reid, Peter
    Year Published: 1980
    Publisher: London: Burke's Peerage
    ISBN: 0850110319
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Demolished

    Park Listed: Destroyed

  • Past Seat of: St. John Charlton, 18th century. Meyrick family.

    Current Ownership Type: Demolished

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No