An 1831 engraving of the 18th century house (the second house) that was demolished to make way for the current house. From "Neale's Views of Seats."
The third (current) house from a circa 1910 postcard
Earlier Houses: There were at least two earlier houses on, or near, the site of the current house. The last of these (the second house) was an 18th century house (see "Images" section) that was demolished in the 19th century to make way for the current house.
Built / Designed For: 14th Marquess of Winchester
House & Family History: During World War II Amport House was requisitioned for use as the headquarters of Royal Air Force Maintenance Command. In 1957 Amport was purchased outright by the Ministry of Defence for the Royal Air Force, who moved the RAF Chaplains' School to Amport House. In 1996, as part of the closure of the depot of the Royal Army Chaplains' Department at Bagshot Park, Amport House became the tri-service Armed Forces Chaplaincy Centre. The stableblock was converted into the Museum of Army Chaplaincy, which moved to Beckett Lodge, Shrivenham, Oxfordshire, in 2020. In 2004 Amport was the venue for the first British LGBTQ armed forces conference. In September of 2016 the Ministry of Defence announced that Amport House would be put up for sale; in 2021 Another Place announced that it was going to redevelop the house as a luxury hotel called Another Place, The Garden, which is scheduled to open in 2023.
Architect: Gertrude JekyllDate: 1923
Architect: Edwin Landseer LutyensDate: 1923
John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. II, 1819.
Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - HARDBACK
Author: Colvin, Howard
Year Published: 2008
Reference: pg. 194
Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Grade II
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSES: Charles Ingoldsby Burroughs-Paulet, 13th Marquess of Winchester, until 1843. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: John Paulet, 14th Marquess of Winchester, 1857-87; Augustus Paulet, 15th Marquess of Winchester, 1887-99; Henry William Montagu(e) Paulet, 16th Marquess of Winchester, 1899-1918. Colonel Sofer Whitburn, 1919-43.
Current Ownership Type: Corporation
Primary Current Ownership Use: Hotel
House Open to Public: By Appointment
Historic Houses Member: No