DiCamillo Companion

Amport House (Amport Park)

  • Earlier Houses: There were at least two earlier houses on, or near, the site of the current house. The last of these (the second house) was an 18th century house (see "Images" section) that was demolished in the 19th century to make way for the current house.

    Built / Designed For: 14th Marquess of Winchester

    House & Family History: During World War II Amport House was requisitioned for use as the headquarters of Royal Air Force Maintenance Command. In 1957 Amport was purchased outright by the Ministry of Defence for the Royal Air Force, who moved the RAF Chaplains' School to Amport House. In 1996, as part of the closure of the depot of the Royal Army Chaplains' Department at Bagshot Park, Amport House became the tri-service Armed Forces Chaplaincy Centre. The stableblock was converted into the Museum of Army Chaplaincy, which moved to Beckett Lodge, Shrivenham, Oxfordshire, in 2020. In 2004 Amport was the venue for the first British LGBTQ armed forces conference. In September of 2016 the Ministry of Defence announced that Amport House would be put up for sale; in 2021 Another Place announced that it was going to redevelop the house as a luxury hotel called Another Place, The Garden, which was scheduled to open in 2023. In January of 2024 Another Place announced that they were not going through with the conversion of the house into a hotel and were putting the property on the market for £5 million.

  • Architect: Gertrude Jekyll

    Date: 1923
    Designed: Gardens, together with Edwin Lutyens, for Sofer Whitburn.

    View all houses

    Architect: Edwin Landseer Lutyens

    Date: 1923
    Designed: Gardens, together with Gertrude Jekyll, for Sofer Whitburn.

    View all houses

    Architect: William Burn

    Date: 1855-57
    Designed: Current house for 14th Marquess of Winchester

    View all houses
  • John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. II, 1819.

  • Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - HARDBACK
    Author: Colvin, Howard
    Year Published: 2008
    Reference: pg. 194
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 9780300125085
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Grade II

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSES: Charles Ingoldsby Burroughs-Paulet, 13th Marquess of Winchester, until 1843. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: John Paulet, 14th Marquess of Winchester, 1857-87; Augustus Paulet, 15th Marquess of Winchester, 1887-99; Henry William Montagu(e) Paulet, 16th Marquess of Winchester, 1899-1918. Colonel Sofer Whitburn, 1919-43.

    Current Ownership Type: Unknown

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Unoccupied

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No


Help preserve Britain’s privately owned country houses by joining Historic Houses. Use code DICAM7 for a £7 discount off a new membership that will give you access to hundreds of historic houses.

Join Now