DiCamillo Companion

Amisfield House (Newmilns)

  • Built / Designed For: Francis Charteris

    House & Family History: The maternal grandfather of Francis Charteris purchased the Amisfield Estate (then called Newmilns) and re-named it after the family seat in Dumfriesshire. The House was demolished in 1928, but Colin McWilliams, writing in "The Buildings of Scotland: Lothian," gives us a wonderful description: the "principal front of seven bays with a rusticated basement; piano nobile with pedimented windows, and small upper windows beneath a cornice and balustrade; central Ionic portico on the arcaded basement; advanced end bays with the basement blind-arcaded to match."

    Comments: Colin McWilliam calls Amisfield "the most important building of the orthodox Palladian school in Scotland…"

  • Garden & Outbuildings: The Stableblock of 1785, designed by John Henderson, is extant. It features five thermal windows on the front, with the center one enclosed in a rusticated arch with a pediment; there are ten blind arches to the east and six to the south. Also by Henderson is the Walled Garden of 1783, which Colin McWilliam calls "the chief monument of 18th century Neoclassicism in Lothian." This large garden features identical cylindrical towers on each of the four corners of its walls. Also extant is the 18th century Ice House on the River Tyne; two twin, two-story Gate Lodges; and a Temple (likely designed by Ware) that overlooks the River. The Temple has a Roman Doric prostyle portico of four columns with rustic belts and a Rococo frame in the pediment.

  • Architect: John Henderson

    Date: 1783-85
    Designed: Stableblock (1785) and Walled Garden (1783).

    View all houses

    Architect: Isaac Ware

    Date: 1752-58
    Designed: House for Francis Charteris. May have also designed Temple in grounds.

    View all houses
  • John Bernard (J.B.) Burke, published under the title of A Visitation of the Seats and Arms of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland, among other titles: 2.S. Vol. II, p. 154, 1855.

    Country Life: Christopher Hussey, Jul 15, 1965.

  • Title: Buildings of Scotland: Lothian Except Edinburgh, The
    Author: McWilliam, Colin
    Year Published: 1980
    Reference: pgs. 76-77
    Publisher: London: Penguin Books
    ISBN: 0140710663
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Demolished

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat / Home of: Francis Charteris, 18th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Demolished

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No


Help preserve Britain’s privately owned country houses by joining Historic Houses. Use code DICAM7 for a £7 discount off a new membership that will give you access to hundreds of historic houses.

Join Now