DiCamillo Companion
England

Ambleside Hall (Bridge House)

  • House & Family History: Elements of Ambleside Hall, which was probably demolished in the 19th century, have been incorporated into buildings located near the Golden Rule pub.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: Bridge House, built by the Braithwaite family in the 17th century on the grounds of Ambleside Hall, was donated to the National Trust in 1926. Built to enable the family to access their land on the other side of Stock Ghyll, the small building was probably used to store apples. Today an information center for the National Trust, Bridge House is one of the most photographed buildings in the Lake District. It was famously painted by Turner and Ruskin in the 19th century.

  • House Listed: Demolished

    Park Listed: Destroyed

  • Past Seat / Home of: James Braithwaite, until 1583; Braithwaite family here until at least the 17th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Demolished

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished

  • House Open to Public: Folly / Outbuildings Only - By Appointment

    Email: [email protected]

    Website: https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/

    Historic Houses Member: No

VISIT AND HELP PRESERVE HISTORIC BRITISH HOUSES

Help preserve Britain’s privately owned country houses by joining Historic Houses. Use code DICAM7 for a £7 discount off a new membership that will give you access to hundreds of historic houses.

Join Now