The House from a 1916 postcard
Earlier Houses: There was an earlier house called Wingbournes on the site of the current house.
House & Family History: Aldenham is a seven-bay by two-story red brick house of Flemish bond with a hipped roof and dormers with alternating triangular and segmental pediments. The core of the House is late 17th century, with 18th century additions and further and much greater extensions and alterations of post 1868, probably made to the designs of Arthur Blomfield for Henry Hucks Gibbs, later 1st Lord Aldenham. The Hall has exceptionally fine 17th century paneling that very likely was removed from an earlier building and re-installed at Aldenham. The House is today part of Haberdashers' Aske's Boys' School.
Garden & Outbuildings: The Stable Courtyard of 1785 is extant, and the grounds are quite fine. In the early 20th century the gardens at Aldenham were famous for the botanical collections of Vicary Gibbs; parts of his water gardens and a number of fine trees from his time survive. William Butterfield's Home Farm of 1879-81 is today the Haberdashers' Aske's Girls' School, while Butterfield's two polychrome brick cottages of 1878-79 still stand by the road.
Architect: Arthur William BlomfieldDate: Post 1868
Title: Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, The
Author: Pevsner, Nikolaus; Cherry, Bridget
Year Published: 2000
Reference: pgs. 69-70
Publisher: London: Penguin Books
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Grade II*
Park Listed: Grade II
Past Seat of: Coghill family, 17th century. Henry Hucks Gibbs, 1st Lord Aldenham, 19th century. Vicary Gibbs, early 20th century.
Current Ownership Type: School
Primary Current Ownership Use: School
Ownership Details: Today The Haberdashers' Aske's Boys' School