The House from an early 20th century postcard
Earlier Houses: A 16th century house on the site was destroyed by fire and rebuilt in 1697 by John and George Evelyn for the Duke of Norfolk, incorporating parts of the old cellars.
House & Family History: The original 16th century house was destroyed by fire and rebuilt in 1697 by John and George Evelyn for the Duke of Norfolk, incorporating parts of the old cellars, and altered again in 1700. In 1763 George III held his coronation ball in the Great Room, today the site of the Library. In 1800 Sir John Soane extended and redesigned the House, including the stairway, Library, and Drawing Room. In 1819 Albury was purchased by the banker Henry Drummond, who, between 1846 and 1852, commissioned A.W.N. Pugin (possibly with the assistance of his son) to remodel and redesign the House in the Victorian Tudor-Gothic style, including 63 individually-designed chimneys. In 1890, after the death of Drummond's daughter, the Estate passed to the family of the Duke of Northumberland, into which she had married. The House was later leased to the Mutual Households Association; after they vacated it was unoccupied (1960s), and sold in 1969 to the forerunner of the Country Houses Association, a retirement community which financially collapsed circa 2002. In May 2004 Albury was purchased by Nigel and Jennifer Whalley and underwent extensive refurbishment, resulting in 37 serviced apartments, let on a lifetime arrangement. The House is also available for conferences and weddings.
Garden & Outbuildings: John Evelyn, creator of the park for the Duke of Norfolk in the late 17th century, built a Nymphaeum with a half-moon pond, a Roman-style bath house, canals, cascades, and bridges. There is also a pair of parallel terraces, each retained by red brick walls and lavender hedges.
Architect: John EvelynDate: 1697
Architect: John SoaneDate: 1800
Architect: George HakewillDate: Early 19th century
Architect: Augustus Welby Northmore PuginDate: 1846-52
John Bernard (J.B.) Burke, published under the title of A Visitation of the Seats and Arms of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. II, p. 85, 1853.
John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: 2.S. Vol. III, 1826.
Country Life: CVIII, 598, 674, 1950.
Title: Walford's County Families of the United Kingdom, 1914
Year Published: 1914
Reference: pg. 900
Publisher: London: Spottiswoode & Co.
Book Type: Hardback
Title: England's Lost Houses From the Archives of Country Life
Author: Worsley, Giles
Year Published: 2002
Reference: pg. 9
Publisher: London: Aurum Press
Book Type: Hardback
Title: Country Life (magazine)
Year Published: NA
Reference: Jul 4, 2002, pg. 92
Publisher: London: TI Media
Book Type: Magazine
Title: Disintegration of a Heritage: Country Houses and their Collections, 1979-1992, The
Author: Sayer, Michael
Year Published: 1993
Publisher: Norfolk: Michael Russell (Publishing)
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Grade II*
Park Listed: Grade I
Seat of: Nigel and Jennifer Whalley; here since 2004.
Past Seat of: Henry Howard, 6th Duke of Norfolk, mid-17th century. Heneage Finch, 1st Earl of Aylesford, late 17th century. Samuel Thornton, early 19th century. Drummond family, 1819-90. Algernon George Percy, 6th Duke of Northumberland, 19th century; Percy family here from 1890 until 1970.
Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use: Mixed Use
Ownership Details: A retirement community formerly owned by the Country Houses Association from 1970 and sold by them in 2004 after their financial collapse to the Whalley family, who carried on the operation, and from 2008 are slowly converting the 32 retirement apartments into 20 larger family apartments, while also letting the House as an entertainment venue.
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No