Earlier Houses: The Aigas Estate includes the remains of Bronze Age settlements, though the first documented house, probably 17th century, was burned and razed to the ground in 1746 by the Duke of Cumberland's troops during the aftermath of the Battle of Culloden, during which the owners of Aigas, the Fraser family (who were Jacobites), were murdered in their beds by Cumberland's troops.
House & Family History: In 1760 a new house (the core of which exists today) was built on the foundations of the old house. By the mid-19th century the Gordon-Oswald family (Glasgow shipping merchants) owned Aigas and a surrounding estate of 20,000 acres. In 1877 the Gordon-Oswalds built a large addition to the Georgian house, while simultaneously creating a model sporting estate for deer stalking, grouse shooting, and salmon fishing. After World War II Aigas fell into a neglected state; it changed owners repeatedly, eventually being divided into small living units. In the 1950s the House was requisitioned by the Inverness-shire County Council for use as elder housing, a purpose it served until 1971, when it was closed and left empty. By 1975 Aigas was considered unsafe and plans were prepared to demolish it. In 1976 John Lister-Kaye, a noted naturalist, purchased the Estate and started the first field studies center for the Highlands, a function Aigas serves to this day, winning international awards for environmental education and serving as Scotland's premier field center. In 1988 Sir John added the West Wing in a Neo-Georgian style.
House Listed: Category B
Park Listed: Not Listed
Seat of: Sir John Philip Lister Lister-Kaye, 8th Bt.
Past Seat of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSE: Fraser family, 18th century. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: Gordon-Oswald family, 19th century.
Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home
Ownership Details: The grounds are the home of the Aigas Field Centre.