An 1831 print of the House from "Neale's Views of Seats"
House & Family History: Adlestrop was originally a property of Evesham Abbey. It came into the ownership of the Leigh family in 1553. William Leigh probably converted a barn into the house, circa 1650. Post 1690 the symmetrical northwest entrance facade was created by Theophilus Leigh. Sanderson Miller added a two-story block to the House between 1750 and 1754. In 1759-63, Miller expanded upon his earlier addition and formed the current southwest façade in the Gothick style.
Garden & Outbuildings: In 1759-63 Samuel Driver laid out the gardens; these designs were swept away by Humphry Repton when he landscaped and enlarged the grounds between 1799 and 1812. Extant is a square rubble Dovecote. Also extant is a Lodge by John Clifford. On the Estate is Adlestrop House, a house of circa 1670 that was the former rectory. Jane Austen (whose mother was a first cousin of the Rev. Thomas Leigh) visited Adlestrop House on a number of occasions between 1794 and 1806.
Architect: Sanderson MillerDate: Circa 1750-63
Architect: Humphry ReptonDate: 1799-1812
John Bernard (J.B.) Burke, published under the title of A Visitation of the Seats and Arms of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland, among other titles: 2.S. Vol. II, p. 134, 1855.
John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. II, 1819.
Title: Disintegration of a Heritage: Country Houses and their Collections, 1979-1992, The
Author: Sayer, Michael
Year Published: 1993
Publisher: Norfolk: Michael Russell (Publishing)
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Grade II*
Park Listed: Grade II
Past Seat / Home of: William Leigh, 17th century; Theophilus Leigh, late 17th century; James Leigh, 18th century; James Henry Leigh, late 18th century; Leigh family here from 1553 until 1990.
Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No