DiCamillo Companion
England

Adderley Hall

  • Earlier Houses: The first home on the site was a classical style 11-bay house with a giant portico that was built in 1780s; this house burned in 1877 and was replaced by the second house, which was built between 1877 and 1881.

    House & Family History: The rambling Victorian house, the second on the site, had pointed gables, diaper brickwork, battlements, bay windows, and a tower. It was demolished in 1955.

    Collections: Claude Lorrain's 1677 "Pastoral Landscape," which is today in the collection of the Kimball Art Museum, Texas, hung on the walls of both Adderley Halls between 1798 and 1945.

  • Architect: Unknown (designed by an unknown architect)

    Date: 1780s
    Designed: First House for Sir Corbet Corbet

    View all houses

    Architect: John Carline II

    Date: 1787-88
    Designed: Portico of first House for Sir Corbet Corbet

    View all houses

    Architect: George Devey

    Date: 1877-81
    Designed: Second House for H.R. Corbet

    View all houses
  • Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - SOFTBACK
    Author: Colvin, Howard
    Year Published: 1995
    Reference: pg. 215
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 0300072074
    Book Type: Softback

    Title: Burke's and Savills Guide to Country Houses, Volume II: Herefordshire, Shropshire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire
    Author: Reid, Peter
    Year Published: 1980
    Reference: pg. 75
    Publisher: London: Burke's Peerage
    ISBN: 0850110319
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Demolished

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT FIRST HOUSE: Sir Corbet Corbet (D'Avenant), 1st Bt., 1785-1823; Richard Corbet, 1850-72; Henry Reginald Corbet, 1872-77. SEATED AT SECOND HOUSE: Henry Reginald Corbet, 1877-1902; Reginald Corbet, 1902-45.

    Current Ownership Type: Demolished

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No