Earlier Houses: There was an earlier house on, or near, the site of the current house.
Built / Designed For: Richard Acton
House & Family History: Frances Stackhouse-Acton, wife of Thomas Pendarves Stackhouse-Acton, was an amateur archeologist, antiquarian, and watercolor artist; these multiple talents came together in her 19th century publication, "Garrisons of Shropshire and Castles" and "Mansions of Shropshire." Frances was also, not surprisingly, active in the archeological work on the Roman villa that was discovered on the grounds in the early 19th century.
Garden & Outbuildings: The grounds contain the remains of a minor Roman villa that was discovered in in 1817 and first excavated in 1844. Further partial excavations carried out in 1997 and 2004 turned up pottery and assorted building materials. The Acton Scott Working Farm Museum, leased to and operated by Shropshire County Council, is located in estate's former home farm.
House Listed: Grade II*
Park Listed: Not Listed
Current Seat / Home of: Rupert Acton
Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSE: Thomas Acton, until 1537. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: Richard Acton, 1587-90; Walter Acton, early 17th century; Sir Edward Acton, 1st Bt., until 1659; Sir Edward Acton, 3rd Bt., until 1716; Edward Acton, until 1747; Edward Acton, until 1775; Thomas Pendarves Stackhouse-Acton, 1807-35. Edward William Wynne-Pendarves, 1835-53. Augustus Wood-Acton, until 1918. Richard Charles Fullerton-Smith, until 1970.
Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home