DiCamillo Companion
Scotland

Ackergill Tower

  • House & Family History: Ackergill is a five-story 15th century oblong tower house with an early 18th century four-story wing at the rear. The Campbell family sold Ackergill Tower in 1699 to Sir William Dunbar of Hempriggs. The Dunbar family (later baronets and barons) performed extensive renovations and additions to the House in the 18th century. In the mid-19th century, further additions, including a cap house, were designed by David Bryce for George Sutherland Dunbar, 7th Lord Duffus. Ackergill was the seat of the Dunbars until 1986, when the family sold up to a company who restored and redeveloped the House as an exclusive hotel and business venue.

  • Architect: David Bryce

    Date: 1852
    Designed: Additions to House, including a cap house, for George Sutherland Dunbar, 7th Lord Duffus.

    View all houses
  • Title: Disintegration of a Heritage: Country Houses and their Collections, 1979-1992, The
    Author: Sayer, Michael
    Year Published: 1993
    Publisher: Norfolk: Michael Russell (Publishing)
    ISBN: 0859551970
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Category A

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat of: John Campbell, 17th century. George Sutherland Dunbar, 7th Lord Duffus, 19th century; Dunbar family here 1692-1986.

    Current Ownership Type: Corporation

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Conference Center

    Ownership Details: The Tower is let for weddings and corporate events.

  • House Open to Public: By Appointment

    Phone: 01955-603-556

    Fax: 1955-602-140

    Email: hello@ackergilltower.com

    Website: https://ackergilltower.com

    Historic Houses Member: No