The house from a 1915 postcard
Earlier Houses: An earlier house, Achnacarry Castle, sited near the current house, was burned by the Duke of Cumberland's troops in 1746.
Built / Designed For: Donald Cameron, XXII Chief of Clan Cameron
House & Family History: On September 17, 1928 the Achnacarry Agreement, an early agreement of global oil producers to set production quotas, was signed here. During World War II Achnacarry House was home to the Commando Basic Training Centre, which, between 1942 and 1945, trained over 25,000 commandos (British, American, French, Norwegian, Dutch, Polish, and Belgian).
House Listed: Category B
Park Listed: Designated Garden & Designed Landscape
Current Seat / Home of: Donald Cameron of Lochiel
Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSE: Sir Ewen Cameron of Lochiel, 1655-1715; Sir John Cameron of Lochiel, 1715; Donald Cameron of Lochiel, 1715-46. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: Donald Cameron, XXII Chief of Clan Cameron, until circa 1825; Donald Cameron, 23rd Lochiel, 1825-58; Donald Cameron, 24th Lochiel, 1858-1905.
Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No