DiCamillo Companion
Wales

Aberglasney

  • Earlier Houses: There was an earlier medieval house on the site of the current house.

    Built / Designed For: The earliest part of the House was built for Bishop Rudd, circa 1600.

    House & Family History: In addition to building the House of circa 1600, Bishop Rudd probably also put up the Gatehouse and Cloister range in the garden. Rudd lost all of his maidservants when they suffocated from lime plaster drying in their bedroom. Aberglasney was enlarged in the 18th century by the Dyer family (John Dyer the poet was a member of the family). Thomas Phillips, a nabob, modernized the House 1803-05. Circa 1930 the pipes burst and flooded the House, resulting in a partial abandonment; it was totally abandoned in 1955. In 1995 Aberglasney was acquired by the Aberglasney Restoration Trust and restoration work was begun. Today Aberglasney has been partially restored; some of the rooms have been made watertight and work is underway to restore the rest of the House in phases. Aberglasney had paneling from Neuadd Newydd in one of its rooms.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: In its heyday Aberglasney was noted for its yew tunnel. The early 17th century parapet walkway is the only extant example of such a garden walkway in Britain. The garden is part of the Lost Gardens of Wales scheme.

  • J.B. Burke: Vol. I, p. 119, 1852.

  • Title: Lost Houses of Wales, The
    Author: Lloyd, Thomas
    Year Published: 1989
    Publisher: London: SAVE Britain's Heritage
    ISBN: 0905978277
    Book Type: Softback

  • House Listed: Grade II

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • "Most Haunted" (2003 - TV reality show, episode 3.5). "Antiques Roadshow" (2010 - BBC TV documentary, episode 32.16).
  • Past Seat of: Bishop Rudd, circa 1600. Robert Dyer, 18th century. Thomas Phillips, 19th century; J.W. Philipps, 20th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Preservation Organization

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Visitor Attraction

    Ownership Details: Owned by Aberglasney Restoration Trust

  • House Open to Public: Grounds Only

    Phone: 01558-668-998

    Email: info@aberglasney.org

    Website: http://aberglasney.org

    Historic Houses Member: No