Earlier Houses: There was an earlier medieval house on the site of the current house.
Built / Designed For: The earliest part of the House was built for Bishop Rudd, circa 1600.
House & Family History: In addition to building the House of circa 1600, Bishop Rudd probably also put up the Gatehouse and Cloister range in the garden. Rudd lost all of his maidservants when they suffocated from lime plaster drying in their bedroom. Aberglasney was enlarged in the 18th century by the Dyer family (John Dyer the poet was a member of the family). Thomas Phillips, a nabob, modernized the House 1803-05. Circa 1930 the pipes burst and flooded the House, resulting in a partial abandonment; it was totally abandoned in 1955. In 1995 Aberglasney was acquired by the Aberglasney Restoration Trust and restoration work was begun. Today Aberglasney has been partially restored; some of the rooms have been made watertight and work is underway to restore the rest of the House in phases. Aberglasney had paneling from Neuadd Newydd in one of its rooms.
Garden & Outbuildings: In its heyday Aberglasney was noted for its yew tunnel. The early 17th century parapet walkway is the only extant example of such a garden walkway in Britain. The garden is part of the Lost Gardens of Wales scheme.
J.B. Burke: Vol. I, p. 119, 1852.
Title: Hudson's Historic Houses & Gardens, 2005
Year Published: 2004
Reference: pg. 522
Publisher: Oxfordshire: Norman Hudson & Company
Book Type: Softback
Title: Lost Houses of Wales, The
Author: Lloyd, Thomas
Year Published: 1989
Publisher: London: SAVE Britain's Heritage
Book Type: Softback
Title: Country House Described: An Index to the Country Houses of Great Britain and Ireland, The
Author: Holmes, Michael
Year Published: 1986
Publisher: Hampshire: St. Paul's Bibliographies (London: Victoria & Albert Museum)
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Grade II
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat of: Bishop Rudd, circa 1600. Robert Dyer, 18th century. Thomas Phillips, 19th century; J.W. Philipps, 20th century.
Current Ownership Type: Preservation Organization
Primary Current Ownership Use: Visitor Attraction
Ownership Details: Owned by Aberglasney Restoration Trust