Earlier Houses: There was an earlier house on the site of the current house.
House & Family History: House used to be called Wherstead Lodge. Either James Wyatt, Samuel Wyatt, or Sir Jeffry Wyattville (Wyatt) is thought to have designed the staircase beginning with one flight and descending in two flights, lit by glazed dome. One of the Harland Baronets laid the cornerstone for the House in 1792. House is used as the Eastern Electricity Board headquarters.
Comments: Staircase resembles that at the former Thirkleby, Yorkshire house. The three proposed designers of the House staircase, James Wyatt, Samuel Wyatt, or Sir Jeffry Wyattville (Wyatt), have never been decisively proven to be the architect at work.
Garden & Outbuildings: Humphry Repton landscaped the grounds.
Title: Burke's and Savills Guide to Country Houses, Volume III: East Anglia
Author: Kenworthy-Browne, John; Reid, Peter; Sayer, Michael; Watkin, David
Year Published: 1981
Publisher: London: Burke's Peerage
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Grade II
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: Sir Robert Harland, Bt., 18th century.
Current Ownership Type: Unknown
Primary Current Ownership Use: Unknown
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No