DiCamillo Companion
England

Trumpington Hall

  • Earlier Houses: A Tudor house existed on the site of the current house.

    House & Family History: Sir Francis Pemberton, Lord Chief Justice of England, purchased the Trumpington Estate in 1675; his descendants have remained here ever since. The Pembertons built a three-story red brick house in the early 18th century to replace an earlier house on the site. Circa 1826, the third story and stuccoed entrance porch were added, and in 1905 the library wing was added. In 2016 the Pemberton family announced that they had changed the inheritance rules for the Trumpington Estate to allow widowed same-sex wives and husbands to have the same rights as other widowed partners. This is believed to be the first instance in Britain of an aristocratic family formalizing LGBTQ rights for their heirs and partners.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: The Trumpington Estate extends to 3,000 acres and includes the 18th century Stableblock and a 28-acre solar farm.

  • Architect: Unknown (designed by an unknown architect)

    Date: 1905
    Designed: Library Wing

    View all houses
  • Title: Burke's and Savills Guide to Country Houses, Volume III: East Anglia
    Author: Kenworthy-Browne, John; Reid, Peter; Sayer, Michael; Watkin, David
    Year Published: 1981
    Publisher: London: Burke's Peerage
    ISBN: 0850110351
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Grade II

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Current Seat / Home of: Pemberton family; here since 1675.

    Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSE: Pytcher family, 17th century. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: Sir Francis Pemberton, 17th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home

  • House Open to Public: No

    Phone: 01223-842-797

    Fax: 01223-841-143

    Email: info@trumpingtonestate.com

    Website: http://www.trumpingtonestate.com

    Historic Houses Member: No