The entrance facade
Built / Designed For: Sir Rowland Hill, 4th Bt.
House & Family History: Traditionally part of the Hawkstone Hall Estate, the Citadel was built by Sir Rowland from a local salmon-colored sandstone as a dower house for his mother and sister (Jane) in the 1820s. The house was designed in the form of three interlinked towers, set to the points of an isosceles triangle. The Citadel was sold away from the Hawkstone Estate in the early 20th century.
Garden & Outbuildings: A 200-acre farm surrounds the house.
Country Life: CXXIV, 368, 1958.
House Listed: Grade II*
Park Listed: Not Listed
Current Seat / Home of: Martin and Alex Griffiths; family here since 1957.
Past Seat / Home of: Sir Rowland Hill, 4th Bt., 19th century.
Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home
Ownership Details: Available for weddings and events