The House from a circa 1920 postcard
Earlier Houses: The current house sits on the site of a preceptory of the Knights Templar, founded in 1147 by Bernard de Balliol and later occupied by the Knights Hospitallers. In 1542 a house was installed on the site; that house was replaced by the current house in 1714.
House & Family History: In 1908 Temple Dinsley was hugely enlarged by Edwin Lutyens, who returned in 1911 and extended the Service Wing. In 1935 the House became The Princess Helena College for girls; in the same year the college engaged F.J. Lander to raise the wings. Temple Dinsley is today the Temple Dinsley Summer School.
Garden & Outbuildings: The gardens were laid out in the early 20th century by Gertrude Jekyll.
Country Life: XXIX, 562 plan, 1911.
Title: Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, The
Author: Pevsner, Nikolaus; Cherry, Bridget
Year Published: 2000
Reference: pg. 359
Publisher: London: Penguin Books
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Grade II*
Park Listed: Grade II
Current Ownership Type: School
Primary Current Ownership Use: School
Ownership Details: Today Temple Dinsley Summer School