Built / Designed For: Ninian Adair of Kilhurst
House & Family History: Also known as the Chapel, Stranraer Castle is located in the center of Stranraer. The Castle was built in 1510 by Ninian Adair of Kilhurst, one of the most powerful lairds of Wigtownshire. By 1591 the Castle was owned by the Kennedy family; it passed to the Dalrymples in 1680 and was in public ownership by 1815, when the town of Stranraer used the building as a jail, a purpose it served until 1907. The Castle was restored by Wigtown District Council and open to the public in 1990.
House Listed: Category A
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: Ninian Adair, 16th century. Kennedy family, 16th-17th centuries. Dalrymple of Stair famiy, from 1680.
Current Ownership Type: Government
Primary Current Ownership Use: Other
Ownership Details: Owned by Dumfries & Galloway Council.
House Open to Public: Yes
Historic Houses Member: No