DiCamillo Companion
England

South Wraxall Manor (South Wroxhall Manor)

  • House & Family History: Legend has it that South Wraxall Manor was the house where the first tobacco was smoked in England (by Sir Walter Long and his friend, Sir Walter Raleigh, although this has also been said of other houses with a Raleigh connection). Between 1820 and 1826 South Wraxall was let to a Dr. Knight, who ran a school for approximately 40 boys in the House. On May 20, 1919, the Long family, who had owned South Wraxall since the 15th century, sold most of the Estate, including the majority of the property in the village, keeping only a bit of land surrounding the House, which they let. In 1935, after the death of the tenant, South Wraxall was taken back by the 2nd Viscount Long, who made the House his home. During World War II refugees from Kent were housed in South Wraxall. The last member of the Long family to live at the House was Antoinette Frances Sibell Long, only daughter of the 2nd Viscount Long and wife of the Conservative MP Charles Morrison. South Wraxall was sold in 1966, together with 830 acres. The House was listed for sale in April 2003 for £6.75 million; in 2005 John Taylor (bass player with the band Duran Duran) and his wife, Gela Nash (founder of Juicy Couture), purchased South Wraxall.

  • Architect: Arthur Campbell Martin

    Date: Circa 1900
    Designed: Restored House

    View all houses
  • Country Life: XV, 450, 1904. XVII, 54, 1905.

  • Title: Country Life (magazine)
    Author: NA
    Year Published: NA
    Reference: Apr 24, 2003, pg. 140
    Publisher: London: Future plc
    ISBN: NA
    Book Type: Magazine

  • House Listed: Grade I

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • "The Country House Revealed" (2011 - BBC TV mini series).
  • Current Seat / Home of: John Taylor; here since 2005.

    Past Seat / Home of: Robert Long, 15th century; Sir Walter Long, 17th century; Walter Francis David Long, 2nd Viscount Long, early 20th century; Antoinette Frances Sibell Long Morrison, late 20th century; Long family here from the 15th century until 1966.

    Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No