DiCamillo Companion

Severndroog Castle (Lady James’s Folly)

  • House & Family History: The folly's name comes from the island fortress of Suvarnadurg, near Mumbai, which was captured in 1755 by William James, of the East India Company, putting an end to attacks on the company’s trading ships. This victory was commemorated by the building of the folly by William's widow, Anne, Lady James.

  • Architect: Richard Jupp

    Date: 1784
    Designed: Folly for Lady James

    View all houses
  • House Listed: Grade II*

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • "Restoration" (2003–06 - BBC TV mini series).
  • Current Ownership Type: Government

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Visitor Attraction

    Ownership Details: Owned by Greenwich Council and operated Severndroog Building Preservation Trust

  • House Open to Public: Yes

    Phone: 08006-891-796

    Website: https://www.severndroogcastle.org.uk

    Historic Houses Member: No