DiCamillo Companion
England

Richings Park

  • House & Family History: After Sir Peter Apsley's death in 1691 Richings passed to Allan Bathurst, 1st Earl Bathurst. In 1739 the Estate was sold to Francis Seymour-Conway, 1st Earl of Hertford, who quickly sold it to Sir John Coghill. In 1786 Richings was sold to John Sullivan, who rebuilt the House circa 1790, after a fire. The last owners were the Sykes family. During World War II the Estate was requisitioned by the Royal Air Force and used as an officers' mess and HQ. The Entrance Facade was damaged by a bomb during RAF occupation; the House was demolished in 1950.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: The gardens were noted for their plantings and the canal, designed for Lord Bathurst by Stephen Switzer in the 1710s as a ferme ornĂ©e. John Sullivan relaid the grounds circa 1790. The only remaining building on the grounds today is a brick, domed Ice House.

  • Architect: Stephen Switzer

    Date: 1710s
    Designed: Canal and garden plantings, as ferme ornée, for Lord Bathurst

    View all houses
  • Title: Buildings of England: Buckinghamshire, The
    Author: Pevsner, Nikolaus; Williamson, Elizabeth
    Year Published: 1994
    Reference: pg. 415
    Publisher: London: Penguin Books
    ISBN: 0140710620
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: No Voice From the Hall: Early Memories of a Country House Snooper
    Author: Harris, John
    Year Published: 1998
    Reference: 50, 53, 54
    Publisher: London: John Murray
    ISBN: 0719555671
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Demolished

    Park Listed: Destroyed

  • Past Seat of: Sir Peter Apsley, late 17th century. Allen Bathurst, 1st Earl Bathurst, early 18th century. Francis Seymour-Conway, 1st Earl of Hertford, 18th century. Sir John Coghill, 18th century. John Sullivan, late 18th century. Sykes family.

    Current Ownership Type: Demolished

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No