House & Family History: The oldest part of Plas Machynlleth dates from the 17th century; the front façade was added in 1853. The Estate was owned in the 19th century by Sir George Vane-Tempest, who became Earl Vane in 1854 and the 5th Marquess of Londonderry in 1872. He sat in the House of Commons as an MP for 26 years and owned vast estates: 27,000 acres in Ireland and 23,000 acres in England and Wales. Upon the death of the 5th Marquess in 1884, his eldest son, Charles, inherited the estate of Plas Machynlleth and became the 6th Marquess of Londonderry. Lady Londonderry, wife of the 6th Marquess, was the model for the famous Lady Roehampton in Vita Sackville-West's "The Edwardians." The prince of Wales (later King Edward VII) was among the many notable 19th century visitors to Plas Machynlleth. In 1948 the 7th Marquess gave the House and grounds to the town of Machynlleth, who used Plas Machynlleth as council offices for many years. Today Plas Machynlleth is the home of the Celtica Heritage Centre.
House Listed: Grade II*
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: Sir John Edwards, 19th century. George Henry Robert Charles William Vane-Tempest, 5th Marquess of Londonderry, 19th century.
Current Ownership Type: Government
Primary Current Ownership Use: Other
Ownership Details: Today Celtica Heritage Centre; owned since 1948 by the local council.
House Open to Public: Yes
Historic Houses Member: No