The house from a circa 1902 postcard
Earlier Houses: There was at least one earlier house on, or near, the site of the current house.
House & Family History: During World War II Orton Hall was used as a prisoner of war camp. In 1954 the 12th Marquess of Huntly sold Orton to the Cambridgeshire Education Authority, who converted the house into a residential school for girls with special needs. Orton Hall became a hotel in the 1990s.
Garden & Outbuildings: The house is today set in 20 acres of grounds that include a famous avenue of Wellingtonias (giant redwoods). The early 18th century Grade II-listed stableblock has been converted into a restaurant.
Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - HARDBACK
Author: Colvin, Howard
Year Published: 2008
Reference: pg. 949
Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Grade II
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSES: Henry de Longueville, 12th century. Gerald Braybrook, 14th century. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: George Gordon, 9th Marquess of Huntly, 14th Earl of Huntly, 5th Earl of Aboyne, 1st Baron Meldrum, and Lord Strathavon, until 1853; Charles Gordon, 10th Marquess of Huntly, 15th Earl of Huntly, 6th Earl of Aboyne, and 2nd Baron Meldrum, 1853-63; Charles Gordon, 11th Marquess of Huntly, 16th Earl of Huntly, 7th Earl of Aboyne, and 3rd Baron Meldrum, 1863-1937; Douglas Charles Lindsey Gordon, 12th Marquess of Huntly, 17th Earl of Huntly, 8th Earl of Aboyne, and 4th Baron Meldrum, 1937-54.
Current Ownership Type: Corporation
Primary Current Ownership Use: Hotel
Ownership Details: Today Orton Hall Hotel & Spa