Fireplace from Old Gala House that was reinstalled in New Gala House
Collections: A circa 1774 chimneypiece, attributed to Francis Harwood and in the style of Sir Henry Cheere, was originally installed in Old Gala House (see photo in “Images” section). It was moved to New Gala House in the 19th century and sold from that house before its demolition in 1985. The Edinburgh firm of Lyon & Turnbull listed the chimneypiece for sale with an estimate of £10,000-15,000 in a January 2016 auction. The fireplace features carved and moulded Carrara marble inset with panels of Sienna marble and jasper; an almost identical chimneypiece exists in the Small Drawing Room at Wedderburn Castle. Four pedestals made by Cheere of white and Sienna marble with Sicilian jasper panels, which bear similarities to the Wedderburn and Gala House chimneypieces, are in the collection of the National Trust in the Music Room at West Wycombe Park.
House Listed: Demolished
Park Listed: Destroyed
Past Seat / Home of: Laird Hugh Scott, 19th century.
Current Ownership Type: Demolished
Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No