The garden facade from an 1831 engraving from "Neale's Views of Seats"
Earlier Houses: After the Dissolution of the Monasteries the Moseley Estate came into the ownership of the Grevis family, who built an early 17th century house (demolished) on a site next to the current house.
House & Family History: John Taylor, Jr., son of the John Taylor who purchased the Moseley Estate in 1768, built a new house in a plain classical style alongside the earlier house of the Grevis family and commissioned Humphry Repton to landscape the park. The new house was set on fire by a mob during the Priestley Riots of 1791 and rebuilt by John Jr. in 1796. In 1889 the Taylors sold the house and 22 acres of the estate to Richard Cadbury, MP, of the chocolate-making family. In 1891 Cadbury gave Moseley Hall to the City of Birmingham for use as a children's convalescent home. The house is today part of the complex of buildings that comprise NHS Moseley Hall Hospital.
House Listed: Grade II
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSE: Grevis family, 16th century until 1768. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: John Taylor, 18th century. Dowager Countess of Carhampton, late 18th century. Richard Cadbury, 19th century.
Current Ownership Type: Government
Primary Current Ownership Use: Hospital / Care Home / Recovery Center
Ownership Details: Today Moseley Hall Hospital, an NHS community hospital offering general medical and sub-acute care and specialist stroke and brain injury rehabilitation services for inpatients and outpatients.
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No