The House from a circa 1898 postcard
House & Family History: Stephan Laurie purchased Glencairn Castle in 1611, changing its name to Maxwelton. The Stenhouse family purchased Maxwelton from the Lauries in 1968 and completed one of the largest restorations to date of a private Scottish house.
House Listed: Category B
Park Listed: Listed
Past Seat / Home of: Stephan Laurie, 17th century. William Cunningham, 13th Earl of Glencairn, 18th century.
Current Ownership Type: Preservation Organization
Primary Current Ownership Use: Other
Ownership Details: Owned by Maxwelton House Trust
House Open to Public: Yes
Historic Houses Member: No