DiCamillo Companion

Manor of the More (The More)

  • Earlier Houses: There were medieval buildings that belonged to the Abbey of St. Albans on the site of the manor.

    House & Family History: In 1525 the Treaty of the More was celebrated here by Henry VIII and the French ambassadors. In 1533, after the annulment of her marriage to Henry VIII, Catherine of Aragon lived here. It's likely that the House was built on inadequate foundations; by the mid-16th century The More had been abandoned; by 1598 it was ruinous. The House was demolished in 1661.

    House Replaced By: Circa 1617 the 3rd Earl of Bedford built a new house to the southwest of the 16th century manor house.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: The Manor of the More was located at the northeast corner of what is today the grounds of Northwood Preparatory School, near the Moor Park Estate. Two large stone pillars, believed to have been part of the original manor, were discovered on the school's playing fields.

  • House Listed: Scheduled Ancient Monument

    Park Listed: Destroyed

  • "Time Team" (2012 - TV series).
  • Past Seat / Home of: Thomas Wolsey, 1515-30. King Henry VIII, 1530. Queen Catherine of Aragon, 1533-34. Francis Russell, 2nd Earl of Bedford, late 16th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Demolished

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No