DiCamillo Companion

Maiden Erlegh House

  • Earlier Houses: There was at least one earlier house on, or near, the site of the 18th century house.

    Built / Designed For: Edward Golding

    House & Family History: In the 1930s the house served as a boys' school.

  • Architect: Alfred Waterhouse

    Date: Circa 1903
    Designed: Rebuilt House for Solly Joel
    (Attribution of this work is uncertain)
    View all houses
  • House Listed: Demolished

    Park Listed: Destroyed

  • Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSES: John d'Earley VI, 14th century; Robert d'Earley, 14th century; Richard d'Earley, until 1502. Chaffin family, 16th century. Oliver Hyde, 16th century; Hyde family here until circa 1673. William Matthew Birt, late 18th century. SEATED AT 18TH-19TH CENTURY HOUSE: Edward Golding, late 18th century; The Rev. Edward Golding III, 19th century. John Hargreaves, 1864-1902. Solly Joel, 1903-31.

    Current Ownership Type: Demolished

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No


Help preserve Britain’s privately owned country houses by joining Historic Houses. Use code DICAM7 for a £7 discount off a new membership that will give you access to hundreds of historic houses.

Join Now