The House from a circa 1919 postcard
House & Family History: Lauriston was originally a Scottish tower house built in the 1890s. William Burn made substantial additions in 1824; this was followed by William Robert Reid, who bought the Castle in 1903 and decorated its interiors in lavish Edwardian fashion. Reid, who died in 1919, was the owner of the Edinburgh cabinet maker Morison & Company and was a keen connoisseur and collector.
Collections: Reid filled Lauriston Castle with a top-notch collection of 18th century Italian furniture, Sheffield Plate, Caucasion carpets, tapestries, and Derbyshire blue john. The collection is in situ and came with the House when it was given to the nation in 1926.
Garden & Outbuildings: The House sits in 30 acres of parkland.
Architect: William ReidDate: 1903-19
House Listed: Category C
Park Listed: Designated Garden & Designed Landscape
Past Seat / Home of: William Robert Reid, early 20th century.
Current Ownership Type: Government
Primary Current Ownership Use: Visitor Attraction
Ownership Details: Owned by City of Edinburgh Council.
House Open to Public: Yes
Historic Houses Member: No