Earlier Houses: There was at least one earlier house on the site of the current house.
House & Family History: The roots of Kingston Bagpuize go back to at least the 11th century. William the Conqueror granted an estate here to one of his barons, who in turn leased it to a knight called Ralf de Bachepuis. Over the centuries the family name was Anglicized to its current form. The Bachepuis family retained the manor until 1290; it passed through several families, until it was purchased by John Latton in 1542. Latton built a moated farmhouse on low-lying ground. That farmhouse was still standing when the current house was built sometime around 1660 – the exact date is uncertain. A descendent, also named John Latton, sold the Kingston Bagpuize Estate to Edmund Fettiplace in 1670; by that time the house we see today was already completed. That Carolean house was completely remodeled in 1720 to conform to the early 18th century taste for symmetry. At the same time a cantilevered staircase was inserted – it is this stair that is the real highlight of the interior today. The staircase is an astonishing sight, with no visible means of support for the steps and gallery. The weight of the gallery and stairs is carried by the sheer mass of the walls, which are three feet thick. On the stair landing is a portrait of Sir Francis Grant, Lord Cullen, who purchased Monymusk House in Aberdeenshire in 1713. Monymusk is still owned by the family and there are paintings relating to the Scottish estate throughout Kingston Bagpuize. The original house was on an east-west axis, centered on a long corridor with rooms on either side. In the mid-Victorian period the house was essentially turned back to front, and the old main entrance became the garden entrance. Other major rooms are the Drawing Room (the original entrance hall), with 18th and 19th century French furniture and portraits of family members by Gainsborough and Romney. The paneled Library dates from 1720, with Georgian mahogany furniture. (We are most grateful to Britain Express for this history of Kingston Bagpuize).
Garden & Outbuildings: The fine 18th century Summerhouse is extant.
House Listed: Grade II*
Park Listed: Not Listed
Seat of: Virginia Grant
Past Seat of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSES: Ralf de Bachepuis, 11th century; Bachepuis family here until 1290. John Latton, 16th century. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: Edmund Fettiplace, 17th century. Sir Francis Grant, Lord Cullen, 18th century. John Buchan, 2nd Baron Tweedsmuir, 20th century.
Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home