Earlier Houses: The current house may include the walls of an earlier 17th century house on the site that burned.
Built / Designed For: Sir Henry King
House & Family History: King House was built by Sir Henry King, 3rd Bt., in the early 18th century during the time when the King family was one of the most wealthy and powerful families in Ireland (they arrived in Ireland in 1603 and later became the earls of Kingston). The family abandoned King House for Rockingham at the beginning of the 19th century and the House subsequently became a military barracks for the Connaught Rangers (from 1788 until 1922) and served as a barracks for the Irish Army later in the 20th century. Today the Reserve Defence Force is based in the West Wing of King House, while the Connaught Rangers Association Museum is housed in another part of King House.
House Listed: Unknown
Park Listed: Unknown
Past Seat / Home of: Sir Henry King, 3rd Bt., 18th century; Edward King, 1st Earl of Kingston, 18th century.
Current Ownership Type: Government
Primary Current Ownership Use: Visitor Attraction
Ownership Details: King House is owned and operated by Rosscommon County Council as a museum (Connaught Rangers Association Museum is here) and as an event venue.