The House from a circa 1898 postcard
Earlier Houses: The 1807 house replaced a house of 1707 built by Sir Simon Hardcourt.
Built / Designed For: Thomas Stock
House & Family History: Thomas and Mary Stock were great entertainers and held many parties at Henbury throughout the early 19th century. Among their guests were William Wilberforce, John Wesley, Hannah More, Elizabeth Fry, Adam Clarke, and Amelia Opie (wife of John Opie). Thomas Stock was a justice of the peace for the Gloucestershire, magistrate and alderman for the City of Bristol, governor of St. Peter's Hospital, and president of the Chamber of Commerce. In 1830 Thomas rebuilt Henbury School (built in 1642 by Anthony Edmonds); the school serves today as the village hall. Thomas's meeting with John Wesley in 1791 apparently changed the direction of his life, as he afterward became an ardent Methodist and philanthropist. Thomas lived at Henbury Court until his death in 1838, aged 70. His remains were interred in the family vault at Henbury Church. After the Stock family sold-up, Henbury Court served as a hotel and children's home; by the mid-20th century it was derelict. The House was demolished in 1953; flats now stand on the site.
House Listed: Demolished
Park Listed: Destroyed
Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT FIRST HOUSE: Sir Simon Hardcourt, early 18th century. SEATED AT SECOND HOUSE: Thomas Stock, early 19th century. Admiral John Halliday. Sir Thomas Lennard.
Current Ownership Type: Demolished
Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No