DiCamillo Companion

Haggerston Castle

  • Built / Designed For: Sir Thomas Haggerston

    House & Family History: The Haggerston family is recorded as owning land in Northumberland as early as the 12th century. The remains of the current house were begun in 1777 by Sir Thomas Haggerston, with significant additions by Luke Moody, as builder and possible architect, from 1808 until 1811. The Haggerston Estate was sold to John Naylor of Leighton Hall in Welshpool in 1858 for the enormous sum of £340,000 (the equivalent of approximately £27 million in 2010 inflation-adjusted values using the retail price index). After James Dunn's improvements, Haggerston Castle grew to an enormous 154 rooms. In 1911 a fire destroyed the core of the House; in 1930 Haggerston and 1,750 acres were auctioned, together with over 3,500 lots from the House, including staircases, flooring, paneling, and fireplaces. Haggerston Castle was completely demolished in 1931; Shaw's Water Tower (used as a storeroom today) and the Rotunda (today a private club) of 1893 are extant (both are Grade II listed). The cellars of the House have been converted into a bar and storerooms, as part of Haggerston Castle Holiday Park, owned and operated by Haven Holidays.

    Collections: Ward Price & Co., auctioneers of Scarborough, Yorkshire, sold all of the contents of Haggerston, including fixtures and fittings, in 1930. The sale catalog was two volumes and stretched to over 3,500 lots.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: The majority of the remaing 256 acres of the Esate are used as a caravan park.

  • Architect: Thomas Haggerston

    Date: 1777
    Designed: House for himself
    (Attribution of this work is uncertain)
    View all houses

    Architect: Luke Moody

    Date: 1808-11
    Designed: Expansion of House, including addition of 3-story wings and addition of offices and servant quarters for Carnaby Haggerston.

    View all houses

    Architect: Norman Shaw

    Date: 1893-97
    Designed: Improvements to House for Christopher John Leyland, including Water Tower and Rotunda.

    View all houses

    Architect: James Bow Dunn

    Designed: Rebuilt south and west elevations of House

    View all houses
  • Title: Lost Houses of Newcastle and Northumberland
    Author: Faulkner, Thomas; Lowery, Phoebe
    Year Published: 1996
    Reference: pgs. 48-50
    Publisher: Yorkshire: Jill Raines
    ISBN: 0951649426
    Book Type: Softback

  • House Listed: Demolished

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat / Home of: Christopher John Leyland, late 19th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Corporation

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Other

    Ownership Details: Grounds are now Haggerston Castle Holiday Park, a caravan park owned and operated by Haven Holidays.

  • House Open to Public: Grounds Only

    Historic Houses Member: No