The house (villa) from a 1922 photograph
The house's entrance portico from a 1922 photograph
The entrance hall from a 1922 photograph
Plasterwork in the staircase hall from a 1922 photograph
The Temple to Shakespeare, with the house in the background, from a 1922 photograph.
Garrick's Temple to Shakespeare, from the Thames, from a 1910 postcard.
The Temple to Shakespeare from a 1922 photograph
The temple at Chiswick House, which may have inspired Garrick's Temple to Shakespeare.
Garrick's Temple to Shakespeare on an early 20th century Palissy Pottery creamer
Garden & Outbuildings: Between 1755 and 1756 the great 18th century playwright David Garrick erected his famous temple to celebrate the genius of William Shakespeare on the grounds of his Thames-side villa. The octagonal, domed building was designed by an unknown architect, though Robert Adam and Capability Brown are likely candidates. Garrick used the folly as an entertainment space and to house his large collection of Shakespearean relics, which he frequently showed off for visitors. In the early 20th century the Temple to Shakespeare was sold off into separate ownership; by the 1930s it was under the protection of the local council, who have owned it ever since. Garrick spent his honeymoon at nearby Chiswick House, which means that it's more than likely that the design for his Temple to Shakespeare was inspired by the temple at Chiswick (see "Images" section).
Country Life: XI, 756 plan, 1916.
Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - SOFTBACK
Author: Colvin, Howard
Year Published: 1995
Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
Book Type: Softback
House Listed: Grade I
Park Listed: Grade II
Past Seat / Home of: David Garrick, 1753-79; Eva Garrick, 1779-1822. Thomas Carr, early 19th century. John Chippendall Montesquieu Bellew, until 1874; Harold Kyrle Money Bellew, 1874-circa 1899. Sir James Clifton Robinson, early 20th century.
Current Ownership Type: Flat Owners Company / Condo Association
Primary Current Ownership Use: Flats / Multi Family
Ownership Details: The house was converted into flats in 1922. The temple is owned by the Borough of Richmond upon Thames and managed by Garrick's Temple Partnership, which opens the folly to the public most Sundays. The temple can also be booked for events.
House Open to Public: Folly Only
Historic Houses Member: No