DiCamillo Companion
England

Devitt House (Tower House)

  • Built / Designed For: John Donaldson

    House & Family History: Tower House, as it was originally called, was built for John Donaldson, a rich shipbuilder of Thorneycrofts fame, as a retirement home. Donaldson died in 1899, before the House was completed, and Tower House was converted for use as Clayesmore School in 1902. When Clayesmore transferred to Winchester in 1914, Sir Thomas Devitt, of the Devitt shipping line, bought the property and setup a school to improve the training of Merchant Navy officers. Tower House became Devitt House, and Pangbourne Nautical College was founded. (We are grateful to Tony Metcalfe for providing this history of Devitt House).

  • Architect: John Belcher

    Date: 1897-99
    Designed: House

    View all houses
  • House Listed: Grade II*

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat / Home of: John Donaldson, turn of the 19th century. Sir Thomas Devitt, early 20th century.

    Current Ownership Type: School

    Primary Current Ownership Use: School

    Ownership Details: Today Pangbourne College

  • House Open to Public: No

    Phone: 01189-842-101

    Email: reception@pangbourne.com

    Website: http://www.pangbourne.com

    Historic Houses Member: No