DiCamillo Companion

Dawyck House (Dalwick House)

  • Earlier Houses: An earlier house was demolished in 1830 and replaced, on the same footprint, by the current house.

    Built / Designed For: Sir John Murray Naysmyth, 4th Bt.

  • Chapel & Church: Dawyck Chapel is in the grounds of the botanic garden.

  • Architect: William Burn

    Date: 1832-37
    Designed: House for Sir John Murray Naysmyth, 4th Bt.

    View all houses
  • Title: Disintegration of a Heritage: Country Houses and their Collections, 1979-1992, The
    Author: Sayer, Michael
    Year Published: 1993
    Publisher: Norfolk: Michael Russell (Publishing)
    ISBN: 0859551970
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Category B

    Park Listed: Designated Garden & Designed Landscape

  • Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSE: Veitch family, here until the 16th century. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: Sir John Murray Naysmyth, 4th Bt., 19th century. Balfour family, circa 1910 until 1992.

    Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home

    Ownership Details: The grounds are today Dawyck Botanic Garden, a regional garden of the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh.

  • House Open to Public: Grounds Only

    Website: https://www.rbge.org.uk

    Historic Houses Member: No