The House from a circa 1913 postcard
House & Family History: During World War II Dalby served as the regional Lincolnshire headquarters for the Auxiliary Units. Organized by the super-secret Special Operations Executive (SOE), the Auxiliary Units were small bands of volunteers organized as independent cells and setup throughout England by Churchill to act as an underground guerilla force to fight the occupiers, should Britain be invaded by Germany. The official acknowledgement that this program existed only came about in the 1990s. Coleshill House in Oxfordshire was the headquarters of the Auxiliary Units and its primary training center. In 2011 the House, together with 1,000 acres, was listed for sale for £12 million.
House Listed: Grade II
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: J.W. Preston, 19th century.
Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No