Built / Designed For: Robert Gregory
House & Family History: Coole Park was built for the wealthy East Indian Nabob Robert Gregory, circa 1770. Bows were added to the Garden Facade early in Victoria's reign. Coole is most famous as the home of Augusta, Lady Gregory, co-founder of the Abbey Theatre, playwright, and author. During her time at Coole in the early 20th century the House was a center of the arts; Yeats and other leading figures of the Irish literary and artistic revival were frequent visitors. Coole often features in Yeats poems. The Department of Lands purchased the Estate in 1927 and allowed Lady Gregory to remain in residence for the rest of her life. In 1941, nine years after Lady Gregory's death, Coole Park was demolished.
House Listed: Unknown
Park Listed: Unknown
Past Seat / Home of: Robert Gregory, 18th century. Sir William and Lady Augusta Gregory, 19th-20th centuries.
Current Ownership Type: Government
Primary Current Ownership Use: Visitor Attraction
Ownership Details: House demolished 1941. Grounds owned and operated by the National Parks & Wildlife Service.