DiCamillo Companion

Coldbrook House

  • House & Family History: Ranging from the 13th to the 19th centuries, Coldbrook was a house of many elements and was noted for its fine interiors. Major Hanbury purchased the Coldbrook Estate in 1720; his son, Sir Charles Hanbury-Williams, diplomat and wit, began a major remodeling in 1746, probably to his own design. Circa 1888 there was a major dispersal of the contents; in 1889 Lady Llonver purchased the estate. Coldbrook House was lived in until circa 1930; in 1954 it was sold for scrap, but, before complete demolition could begin the façade collapsed under its own weight.

    Collections: Contents sold in 1888.

  • Architect: Joseph Nevill

    Date: 1866-67
    Designed: Wing

    View all houses

    Architect: Charles Hanbury-Williams

    Date: Circa 1746
    Designed: Remodeled House for himself
    (Attribution of this work is uncertain)
    View all houses
  • House Listed: Demolished

    Park Listed: Destroyed

  • Past Seat / Home of: Herbert family, until 1709. Major Hanbury, 18th century; Sir Charles Hanbury-Williams, 18th century. Lady Llanover, 19th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Demolished

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No