DiCamillo Companion
England

Campden Manor (Chipping Campden) (Old Campden House)

  • Built / Designed For: Sir Baptist Hicks

    House & Family History: Sir Baptist Hicks, a philanthropist and great friend of Charles I, was a generous benefactor to Chipping Campden. His gift of the attractive terrace of alms houses, just off the High Street, were built in 1624 and survive in excellent condition today. Nearby, a collection of buildings arouses the curiosity of many visitors: the remains of Campden Manor, which today consists of two banqueting houses (owned by The Landmark Trust and let as holiday rentals), a small section of the frontage of the manor, the entrance gateway lodges, and an almonry. These are all that remain where Sir Baptist Hicks's beautiful country residence—Campden Manor—once stood. This grand house was built between 1613 and 1620 and cost £29,000, the equivalent of £84 million in 2016 inflation-adjusted values, using the labour value commodity index. Furnishing it cost a further £15,000. In 1645, during the Civil War, Royalist troops (the Cavaliers) were billeted in the house. The manor was, in the end, destroyed by these Royalist troops to stop it from being sequestered by Parliament during the Civil War. Sir Baptist ordered that his house be burned down, declaring he would rather have it burned to the ground than fall into the hands of the Parliamentarians—Oliver Cromwell's Roundheads. (This history of Campden Manor kindly provided by John Wilkes).

    Comments: The house is quoted as once being "undoubtedly the grandest Jacobean mansion in the county."

  • Garden & Outbuildings: The Grade II* east and west banqueting houses (restored in 1998) can be booked as holiday accommodation through The Landmark Trust. In 2007 the court barn (Grade II-listed) beside the gate lodges (II*) was opened as an Arts & Crafts museum by The Guild of Handicraft Trust.

  • House Listed: Not Listed

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat / Home of: Sir Baptist Hicks, 17th century. Edward Noel, 1st Earl of Gainsborough, 17th century.

    Current Ownership Type: The Landmark Trust

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Ruinous

    Ownership Details: The house was ruined during the Civil War; the Landmark Trust operates the east and west banqueting houses as holiday rentals.

  • House Open to Public: Folly / Outbuildings Only - By Appointment

    Email: [email protected]

    Website: http://www.landmarktrust.org.uk

    Historic Houses Member: No

VISIT AND HELP PRESERVE HISTORIC BRITISH HOUSES

Help preserve Britain’s privately owned country houses by joining Historic Houses. Use code DICAM7 for a £7 discount off a new membership that will give you access to hundreds of historic houses.

Join Now