DiCamillo Companion

Bretons Manor

  • Earlier Houses: Since the 12th century, there have been at least four houses on, or near, the site of the current house; elements of these earlier houses were incorporated into today's house.

    House & Family History: In 1869 Bretons was sold to Romford Health Board, who converted part of the park into a sewage farm, a purposed it served until 1968. A youth center was installed in the House in 1976, which became Bretons Sports and Social Club in 1978, which it remains today.

  • Title: Burke's and Savills Guide to Country Houses, Volume III: East Anglia
    Author: Kenworthy-Browne, John; Reid, Peter; Sayer, Michael; Watkin, David
    Year Published: 1981
    Publisher: London: Burke's Peerage
    ISBN: 0850110351
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Grade II*

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSES: Radolphus Briton, 12th century; variously spelled Le Breton, Bretoun, and Breteyne, the family was here from the 12th century until the 14th century. William de Northtoft, 14th century. Sir Richard Arundel, 15th century. William Ayloffe, 16th century; Sir Benjamin Ayloff, 17th century. John Winniffe, 17th century. John Austen, 17th century; Austen family here until 1720. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: John Hopkins, 18th century. Elizabeth Grafton Dare, 19th century; Hall-Dare family here until 1869.

    Current Ownership Type: Government

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Club

    Ownership Details: Owned by the London Borough of Havering and operated by Bretons Sports and Social Club

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No