Earlier Houses: The current house sits on the site of an earlier building.
House & Family History: Braemar Castle was built in 1628 by the Earl of Mar on the site of an even older building. The "Black" Colonel of Inverery attacked and burned the castle in 1689. The House was rebuilt and was later garrisoned by Hanoverian troops for some 60 years following the Jacobite rebellion in 1745. Some of the rooms still contain the graffiti of English soldiers. After the 1745 rebellion the House was transformed by the Farquharsons of Invercauld, in whose ownership it remains today.
House Listed: Category A
Park Listed: Not Listed
Current Seat / Home of: Captain A.A.C. Farquharson of Invercauld; Clan Farquharson here for over 200 years.
Past Seat / Home of: John Francis Miller Erskine, 11th Earl of Kellie, 9/26th Earl of Mar, 19th century.
Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home