The House from an 1836 print
House & Family History: Bothwell Castle is roughly rectangular in shape. Its west end is occupied by the remains of the enormous, circular keep. The east end of the Castle comprises the Great Hall and the south end contains the East Tower. Bothwell was the property of the crown through much of the 16th century; in 1669 it passed to the earls of Forfar. In the late 17th century the Forfars abandoned the Castle and moved to Bothwell House, a large mansion (now demolished) built to the east of the Castle. In 1935 Bothwell Castle was placed in the care of the government, and is today under the guardianship of Historic Environment Scotland.
Comments: Bothwell is considered Scotland's finest 13th century castle and one of the best examples of Scottish medieval architecture.
John Bernard (J.B.) Burke, published under the title of A Visitation of the Seats and Arms of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. II, p. 114, 1853. 2.S. Vol. II, p. 150, 1855.
House Listed: Category A
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: Walter of Moray, 13th century. Archibald Douglas, Earl of Douglas and Wigtown, Lord of Galloway, Douglas and Bothwell, 14th century; William Douglas, 6th Earl of Douglas, 15th century; Archibald Douglas, 1st Earl of Forfar and 2nd Earl of Ormonde, 17th century.
Current Ownership Type: Historic Environment Scotland
Primary Current Ownership Use: Visitor Attraction
House Open to Public: Grounds Only
Historic Houses Member: No